Magpies superstar Daicos sinks Carlton with late goal

Collingwood superstar Nick Daicos has kicked the matchwinner with a minute remaining to sink arch-rivals Carlton by six points in another MCG thriller.

With scores level and the Magpies seemingly on track for their second draw in eight days, Daicos swooped on the ball from a clearance with his pace to snap through his second goal of Friday night’s contest.

The experts of close finishes, Collingwood were able to prevent Carlton scoring again to win 12.13 (85) to 12.7 (79) in front of 88,362 fans – the biggest crowd among the old foes since the 1981 grand final.

Daicos’ final quarter was one for the ages, stepping up as he did against Essendon last year when he won the Anzac Day Medal.

The 21-year-old had 10 possessions and two clearances in the last quarter to finish with 32 touches to win the Richard Pratt Medal in the Peter Mac Cup for best afield.

Last quarter heroics from Nick Daicos (second left) helped Collingwood to a thrilling win. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

“Credit to Carlton, these games always seem to go right down to the wire,” Daicos told the Seven Network.

“It was a good feeling (to kick the late goal). We missed a couple before it so you started to get a little bit nervous and just lucky it went through.”

The win keeps Collingwood undefeated since they started their premiership defense 0-3, lifting them inside the top-eight for the first time this season.

After leading by five points at three-quarter-time, Collingwood had to contend with Carlton reclaiming the lead through two Tom De Koning goals, then – after a Pies fightback – Matt Cottrell leveling the scores with four minutes left.

Star Carlton forward Harry McKay scored with four goals and Matt Owies popped up with three, while Sam Walsh collected 32 possessions.

Tempers flared during a tight contest between the two great rivals at a packed MCG. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

Collingwood forward Beau McCreery, who had gone into the midfield, was ruled out with concussion in the second quarter after a knee to the head from Carlton’s Lachie Cowan in a marking contest.

But McCreery’s subbing brought mature-aged debutant Lachie Sullivan into the contest, immediately shifting momentum Collingwood’s way.

The Magpies slammed through five-straight goals before halftime to turn a 19-point deficit into an 11-point lead.

The highlight of that second-quarter blitz came from Sullivan, who slotted a goal with his first kick in the AFL as coach Craig McRae and superstar Nick Daicos celebrated on the bench as if the Magpies had won back-to-back premierships.

Mason Cox was among a stunning 11 individual goal-scorers for the Magpies. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

After a tough night down back, Carlton defender Zac Williams (glute tightness) was subbed out in the last term for midfielder Matt Kennedy.

Collingwood forward Lachie Schultz will certainly face scrutiny from the match review officer after he inexplicably struck Carlton winger Blake Acres midway through the final quarter.

Carlton will be back at the MCG in six days when they face Melbourne, while Collingwood don’t play again until Sunday week with a match against West Coast at Marvel Stadium.